Skip to main content

Art Canon

My mind has been blown - the old painting masters Cézanne, Rembrandt and Monet are not all of what I thought they were. I recently discovered that the traditional art historical canon is biased and has created an unrepresentative view of creativity and artistic styles. It has left out entire groups of people only later to place them in subgroups. The traditional canon for art history has favored upper class European white male artists. It is interesting to see that art history has been governed by a select group who overtime decided what qualifies as great works of art and artistic genius. The definition leaves out women and minorities who have not had access to the same resources as men did such as supplies or education but even so they were able to create with items more accessible to them. Yet they are left out of traditional canon as if they never existed. How can we understand culture, history and politics by ignoring these groups of people? - Art is not only a piece of individual expression but a part of culture. Analyzing pieces can help us understand things about society that we may not be able to glean from other sources for history is not rigid but based on interpretation of primary sources; newspaper articles, books, media and artwork created in different time periods. We have to interpret these things in conjunction with the lived experience of the individual who created them. Which means for art understanding their unique identity and how it may have played into what they chose to depict in their artwork.

The good news is that Yale is scraping the old canon for a more inclusive canon with the hope that other universities will follow suit. Perhaps it has taken this long for this change because they are having trouble unifying and determining what information and knowledge they can assume is universal between Art History departments across different schools.

When I say that the old masters are not all of who I thought they were it does not mean I can't learn from them or what I have learned is entirely useless, it simply means that it may not have as much weight as I previously thought - I am taking them off of the pedestal so that I can discover and uncover artists who have not been given attention. It only makes me want to broaden my perspective and learn from others who have great skills although they may not have fit the traditional cut of what great art means. Here are some pieces from artists I have discovered so far, past and present: 
Judith and her Maidservant, Artemisia Gentileschi, 1613-14

Lanscape, Anna Molka Ahmed, 1970

Willem van Heythuysen, Kehinde Wiley, 2005

Village Scene, Amrita Sher-Gil, 1938




For scholarly reading on art canon see: Linda Nochlin, Nanette Salomon, and Griselda Pollock. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: "Dear Girls" Ali Wong

I look up to a lot of people whose creative endeavor differs from mine. Ali Wong is a comedian but to me she is an artist. I was curious about her book. I found it to be a whimsical and honest. It's a discussion about her life and her wisdom gained through experiences. I love that she is brutally honest about many things about her life such as experiences with dating, navigating life as an Asian American. I found myself relating to many of her struggles. To the ones I couldn't relate to I want to keep in mind as advice to implement in my life as needed. Also, I like that she talks about her experiences working as a comedian on the road, she talks not only about successes but her struggles along the way. Most of the time when we see celebrities all we see is there highlight reel so I am glad she talks about her struggles. We are all only human and we all experience a range of emotion, I think sometimes we can forget that people who we idolize or see as having "made it&qu

Face Study: Proportions

In revisiting portraiture I have realized that I made errors in my facial proportions. There are something I utilized that were correct such as knowing that the space between each eye is equivalent of one eye. The main thing I realized I had wrong this whole time was that foreheads are half the length of a face. It baffles me and I think its because in my minds eye a forehead takes up such a small space because hair is covering it. With faces I think it is especially difficult to separate what our minds eye thinks a face is. Which seems counterintuitive to me because we are hardwired to detect faces easily and can even spot images that appear like a face even when nothing is present. Maybe because faces are so imbedded into our minds we tend to generalize them and therefore have a hard time separating our generalizations of what a face is supposed to look like from the realities of the actual structures of the face. Somethings to keep note: From the top of the head to the top of t