Skip to main content

Film Review: "The Artist is Present" Marina Abravomic



Recently, I attended a special film screening of "The Artist is Present". It surveys Marina Abravomic's artistic endeavors and focuses on one of her biggest shows at MoMA. Abravomic is a performance artist in which her body becomes her canvas in a sense. Her early art is shocking because she plays with bodily harm to herself - nothing is an act or an illusion. She had a piece where she was laying in the middle of a pentagram lit on fire and passed out from the fumes. She even carved one onto her abdomen in another performance. The early pieces make me wonder where is the line drawn between art and self-harm? Can a form of self harm even be considered art or is bodily harm only a maladaptive coping mechanism? As both an artist and a former Crisis Counselor, this is a difficult question to grapple. As an artist I cannot deny her expression nor can I speak whether her performance art that involved harm to herself was out of a place of pain or not. As a former Crisis Counselor I do not condone the use of bodily harm in art. I don't think it is a healthy way to express yourself. I believe art can be incredibly powerful and healing even if it does come from a place of pain. There are many other ways that one can express themselves without causing harm to themselves physically including acting, painting, drawing, performing music, dance, voice over, writing and many more. Even performance art can be constructively done in a healthy way. A better alternative to what Abravomic did is to draw on yourself.

Abravomic's last piece showcased is different and actually evokes a healing quality. Over and over again she talked about how performance is a state of mind. She even had a workshop where she prepared performance artists who assisted with her other re-enactments of her pieces. She had them remove themselves from technology, fast and meditate. In her most notable piece she sat on a chair staring at individuals across a table in another chair. Later the table is removed. She is staring at everyday people; the viewers become part of her performance. Her piece was held all day for a few months, people flew in from all over to view her performance. During her last performance the camera paned over to her gaze which remained sharp during the entire duration. I felt an uneasy with her gaze even through the film. Many of her viewers started crying perhaps because of being seen in this way. It is intimacy at the next level. Many people in her life interviewed stated that she doesn't love one person per say but she loves everyone and the Earth. She as a person does not appear on the surface level to exude warmth, she seems to have a very strong exterior which I believe was formed in part from her childhood - she said that her mother never hugged her because she did not want to "spoil" her and her mother trained her in what Abravomic called a militaristic fashion. I think those beginnings as well as her own self determination and self discipline allowed her to keep composure throughout her pieces and continue her artistic career. While I have criticism for her earlier pieces I have admiration for her latter work.



Since topics of self-harm were discussed in this post I am providing resources for help.  For information about self-harm: https://www.yourlifeyourvoice.org/Pages/self-injury.aspx and to find healthy coping skills alternatives please check out: https://www.yourlifeyourvoice.org/pages/tip-99-coping-skills.aspx If you have thoughts of suicide please call the National Suicide Prevention Line at 1-800-273-8255.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Canon

My mind has been blown - the old painting masters Cézanne, Rembrandt and Monet are not all of what I thought they were. I recently discovered that the traditional art historical canon is biased and has created an unrepresentative view of creativity and artistic styles. It has left out entire groups of people only later to place them in subgroups. The traditional canon for art history has favored upper class European white male artists. It is interesting to see that art history has been governed by a select group who overtime decided what qualifies as great works of art and artistic genius. The definition leaves out women and minorities who have not had access to the same resources as men did such as supplies or education but even so they were able to create with items more accessible to them. Yet they are left out of traditional canon as if they never existed. How can we understand culture, history and politics by ignoring these groups of people? - Art is not only a piece of individua

Book Review: "Dear Girls" Ali Wong

I look up to a lot of people whose creative endeavor differs from mine. Ali Wong is a comedian but to me she is an artist. I was curious about her book. I found it to be a whimsical and honest. It's a discussion about her life and her wisdom gained through experiences. I love that she is brutally honest about many things about her life such as experiences with dating, navigating life as an Asian American. I found myself relating to many of her struggles. To the ones I couldn't relate to I want to keep in mind as advice to implement in my life as needed. Also, I like that she talks about her experiences working as a comedian on the road, she talks not only about successes but her struggles along the way. Most of the time when we see celebrities all we see is there highlight reel so I am glad she talks about her struggles. We are all only human and we all experience a range of emotion, I think sometimes we can forget that people who we idolize or see as having "made it&qu

Face Study: Proportions

In revisiting portraiture I have realized that I made errors in my facial proportions. There are something I utilized that were correct such as knowing that the space between each eye is equivalent of one eye. The main thing I realized I had wrong this whole time was that foreheads are half the length of a face. It baffles me and I think its because in my minds eye a forehead takes up such a small space because hair is covering it. With faces I think it is especially difficult to separate what our minds eye thinks a face is. Which seems counterintuitive to me because we are hardwired to detect faces easily and can even spot images that appear like a face even when nothing is present. Maybe because faces are so imbedded into our minds we tend to generalize them and therefore have a hard time separating our generalizations of what a face is supposed to look like from the realities of the actual structures of the face. Somethings to keep note: From the top of the head to the top of t